I will create a funded policy to support a collaborative partnership with the farm bureau that stimulates agriculture and advances us towards food sustainability.
- Hawaii is located approximately 2,506 miles from the continental United States.
- Replacing just 10% of the food we currently import would cost approximately $313 million.
- Hawaii is self-sufficient in some vegetable and fruit crops but has become less self-sufficient in eggs, milk, livestock, hogs, and pigs.
- An investment in programs, projects, and infrastructure which support greater food self-sufficiency will result in economic, social, and environmental benefits.
- The city has a department of emergency management and food sustainability is one of the most important things we can do to prepare for natural disasters and support our communities.
- There are very few egg farms left on O’ahu and I have one of the last local egg farms on O’ahu.