I will work together with the Farm Bureau to start an infrastructure co-op for the upstart and needs of farmers.
- The cost of housing is much higher than a farm worker’s income and therefore farming workforce housing would help to incentivize farm operations.
- The 14-member Hawaii Food Hub Hui which acts as a small farmer-focused food aggregator was created to help local farmers.
- In February 2022, local nonprofit Hawaii Investment Ready launched a new Hawaii Food Systems Accelerator program to increase food security.
- Farmers should be at the core of all policy decisions on agricultural legislation and guide appropriate infrastructure investment.
- We need to support workforce housing for farm workers if we want farms to increase their operations and ability to provide food to local communities.
- To increase the production of locally grown foods, the city needs to help improve agricultural infrastructure including agricultural parks, irrigation systems, and distribution systems/facilities.